Help us stop losing the women and men we love. Join the campaign to know how to end breast cancer by January 2020. We need your help to make this happen.
There are several ways you can support the campaign:
- Join our Facebook group: Iowa Breast Cancer Deadline 2020 Action Network & ask others to join as well.
- Learn more about Breast Cancer Deadline 2020 at http://www.breastcancerdeadline2020.org
- Attend the National Breast Cancer Coalition Leadership Summit
- Have your organization endorse Breast Cancer Deadline 2020 at http://www.breastcancerdeadline2020.org/about-the-deadline/whos-behind-us/organizational-endorsements/organizational-endorsement.html
- Make an online tax-deductible contribution of any amount at http://www.breastcancerdeadline2020.org/donate or make checks payable to Breast Cancer Deadline 2020 and mail to Christine Carpenter, 1722 W. Ridgewood Drive, Cedar Falls IA 50613.
Asking Others to Support Breast Cancer Deadline 2020:
- Start with the connections you already have.
- Reach out to newcomers to join you and increase your impact.
- Remember, it can’t hurt to ask. What’s the worst that can happen? They might say no?
- Work with whomever is interested and work as a team, tapping into each person’s personal & professional skills.
- Educate your connections on the Breast Cancer Deadline 2020 goals and provide updates on progress toward reaching them.
- Provide your connections with a sample script to get them started.
- Keep your message simple, focusing on the primary goals of Breast Cancer Deadline 2020.
- Develop a plan, documenting each person’s commitment to help spread the word.
- Take advantage of opportunities to share your message face-to-face, doing something to make yourself noticeable. We created sandwich boards, each with a slightly different message related to Breast Cancer Deadline 2020.
- Take advantage of opportunities to have personal conversations with people in prominent positions. Ask to have fifteen to twenty minutes on their schedule.
- Expand your outreach using email and social media.
- Be positive and persistent. Show and spread your passion!
- Meet monthly to maintain accountability.
- Be approachable and show compassion, but take a position and trust that position.
Outreach Efforts – Things We’ve Done to Reach Our Communities
- Television and radio interviews
- Newspaper articles
- Articles in local breast cancer organization’s newsletter
- Article in public university wellness newsletter
- Display at Health Fairs – Interaction is essential!
- Pink Outs at high school volleyball games, minor league hockey games and public university football, soccer, basketball, and softball games
- Dragon boat team in city’s summer celebration races
- Worked with public university students on a class project to create promotional materials for an actual organization (video, brochure, endorsement and volunteer letters)
- Personal conversations with local mayors, state and federal legislators, university/college presidents, key personnel representing health care organizations, and others in prominent positions
- Special presentations to interested organizations
- Facebook Group – Partnered with NBCC to start the Iowa Breast Cancer Deadline 2020 Action Network